grey and yellow

Monday, May 18, 2015


At our 36 week ultrasound the tech told us that Jax was weighing in at just under 8lbs and his head was measuring in the 97th percentile... And then I flipped out a tad. 97th percentile at 36 weeks? I thought for sure we were headed down the road to a 10 pound baby. My amniotic fluid was very low. It was at a 7 and a 5 is considered to be dangerous. So, we had an ultrasound the following week where a different tech told us the same thing. They all used the terms "huge" and "That's a good sized noggin." I was dilated to a 2 and 80% at 36 weeks. The way the pregnancy had been going my doctor told me to plan for a baby any day. So, that's what we did. Then, we waited... and waited. And after weeks of no baby I ended up being induced. 

The initial plan was to start me on Friday May 1st. This week also happened to be finals week for Trevor. He had 2 ten page papers he wrote this week and was trying to get everything done at work to be able to take some time off. On Wednesday evening my Doctor called me and asked if we could switch it to Thursday since his Grandpa passed away and had family in town for the next few days. Poor Trevor got up on Thursday and went into work early only to work all day and come home at 7:30 that night to go to the hospital and stay up all night to have a baby. Poor kid was exhausted. 

When we got to the hospital on Thursday night 3 out of the 5 nurses on duty that night we had already previously had. How pathetic is that. We knew the majority of the nurses from spending so much time there. Our nurses name was Whitney. We had previously had her when I ended up in labor and delivery for being dehydrated and had an infection. The very first time we had her she struggled to put up my bed rail. She actually had to go get another nurse to put it up. I was a little scared to think my nurse couldn't put up a simple bed rail but was going to stick me with needles. So, when we ended up with her again I was a little nervous but we actually laughed about it and then she proved that it was just that bed and that she was actually capable of putting up a bed rail. 

This time around I was going to try and go natural (TRY being the key word.) I had a terrible experience with Brecklyn and the epidural so I was going to try and avoid that again this time around. By the time 3:30 a.m. rolled around  I was still stuck at a 5. I had been stuck at a 5 for hours and wasn't progressing. The contractions were getting so close together that I couldn't even catch a breathe in between them. I remember gripping the bed rail so hard I was convinced I was going to break it all while Trevor, Casie and my mom were all standing there saying "breathe, just breathe" like it was that easy. So, I opted for some pain medication through my IV while we waited for the anesthesiologist which was wicked strong stuff that I would not recommend to anyone. All I remember is the nurse saying "this will take about 60 seconds to kick in" and within 25 seconds I was passed out. It made me so loopy that there's a good 30 minutes that I have no recollection of. Trev said I was calling the anesthesiologist "Morty." His name was Dr. Mortensen. I don't remember much about getting the epidural. Apparently, Casie had to hold me up on the bed cause I kept tipping over. Luckily, this drug didn't last long and everything flew by after that. I got the epidural at 3:30 am and went from a 5 to a 10 and was holding Jax by 4:50am. By the time the doctor got there he pretty much jumped in his suit I gave 3 pushes and there he was. 

This "huge" baby they all expected ended up being 7lbs 9 oz. 20 in. with a perfectly normal sized head. 

Brecklyn actually named him. Ever since we found out it was a boy she started calling him "sister Jaxon" and it just kinda stuck. The middle name Brent is after Grandpa Jeppson. Jax has some big shoes to fill with that name. Grandpa Jeppson will always hold a special place in my heart and I couldn't ask for a better person to name my son after. 

Jax is the snuggliest little mama's boy you'll ever meet. He loves sleeping on my chest but his head has to touch mine and if its not he uses his feet to push himself up my chest until he nuzzles in under my chin. I just never want to put him down. Most nights he sleeps like a champ. His last feeding is at mid night and then he will usually sleep till 5 or 6. I can't complain about that. Brecklyn absolutely loves him. She mauls him all day long, She has already begun torturing him. The other day I caught her sticking a ramon noodle up his nose and when I asked what she was doing she responded with "Just sharing with my broder." Can't get mad at that, right? She has also started teaching him pat-a-cake already. 

No comments:

Post a Comment